Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Great Ensmallening: Part 2

[DE]Rebecca

Tenno,

Next week we continue The Great Ensmallening on PC: https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1223735-the-great-ensmallening/
To recap the main point from our original post for today:

“we’re probably going to free up at least 15GB by the time we’re done. To reduce the pain for people updating we’re going to break these remaster updates into three parts spread out over the rest of 2020….”

Today we will discuss Part 2, what it is, and when to expect it. 

While part one of our first update touched our Lightmap compression, Part 2 brings us to the rest of Warframe’s TEXTURES! We are anticipating about 8-10 GB of savings with this round after a 10GB download. 

But wait, there’s more! As a bonus to touching every texture in Warframe, we used this opportunity to ask ourselves “is there anything else we can do to improve textures since we are going through all the work of touching them for compression anyways?” The answer: Yes! In short, we have also made improvements to how detailed the game looks overall. Take a look for yourself (download them and go back and forth for best effect)!

BEFORE / AFTER: 

Spoiler

BEFORE:Before.jpg
AFTER:  After.jpg

BEFORE / AFTER:

Spoiler

BEFORE:Before2.jpg

AFTER:After2.jpg

BEFORE / AFTER:

Spoiler

BEFORE:

Before3.jpg

AFTER:

After3.jpg

Bonus: just LOOK at the details on the Braton's gun textures. This is what we're talking about! 

LookAtGun.jpg

All of this ‘Part 2’ releases next week on PC, Tenno! 

Please note, we originally planned on shipping TennoGen Round 19 Part 2 today (October 29), but we instead are pairing it with The Great Ensmallening: Part 2 to release next week. There main reasons for this is we have some internal deadlines that are critical we hit and getting ‘The Great Ensmallening: Part 2’ lined up today internally was an extremely logical choice. We are sorry for the delay, but trust us, it’ll be worth it!  Want a quick look at what’s coming? See here: https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1215384-tennogen-round-19-accepted-items/#comments

I still can't wrap my head around how the texture quality is becoming noticeably more crisp, while the texture file size is being decreased by around ten friggin gigabytes.

Yall at DE are wizards or something, i swear 🤯

6 minutes ago, (PS4)TONI__RIBEIRO said:

The before and after pictures seem to be identical  

If you compare them fullscreen using tabs you'll see differences. The wood details for exemple seem more crisp as well as the soil and sky of cetus.

So, for the textures, you just turned up the sharpening setting? Sharpening doesn't mean much when a lot of Warframe's textures (particularly warframe, weapon, and environment textures) are low resolution. Are you going to go back and improve those?

14 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

BEFORE / AFTER: 

I'm sorry, but I see no improvement in those comparison shots. As far as I can tell, the only difference is that a basic sharpening filter has been applied to the textures. That does not make the scene look better even in a static shot, let alone in motion. Especially the ground in the second comparison just ends up looking grainy. You don't want eye-catching, attention-drawing detail on irrelevant terrain details in a game; that's an error modders often make. That's the feel I get from these screenshots. The change to these textures looks like something a novice Skyrim modder would make and upload under the title "HD Retexture Pack", get a total of 37 downloads after six years, and never make another mod again.

At least the install size is going to get smaller again, I guess.

Archived