• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I spoke with Jawmuncher & got approval to make this thread (he even helped me with the title), seeing as it's great news for Capcom going forward. Given that the quote in the other thread comes from a questionable source, I'll do bullet points instead.
  • The document cites Spider-Man: Miles Morales as a positive example of PoC representation, while The Last of Us Part II & Shadow of the Tomb Raider are cited as positive examples for LGBTQ+ representation.
  • They also talked about how Peach & Zelda are seen as negative stereotypes for women since they're typically damsels in distress, but also cited BotW as an improvement since Zelda takes a more pro-active role in it.
  • Sex appeal was cited as something that should be equal between men & women, and be mainly to serve a purpose within the context of the story. They want to move away from overly sexualizing, say, just the women.
  • Capcom even called themselves out on their past mistakes, including...
    • Rainbow Mika's butt slap in Street Fighter V
    • Monster Hunter World's armors for the female hunters being more revealing than their male counterparts
    • Dee Jay wearing a Rastafarian hat
  • Capcom also mentioned that they need to have cosmetics for all forms of characters be available.
    • Example Used by Capcom: Custom characters having any kind of haircut, facial hair, or body type
  • The document mentions a direct desire to move away from offensive stereotypes, only featuring certain ethnicities, & sexual/obscene language/jokes (unless they serve a legitimate story purpose).
  • Capcom even mentioned that they should reach out to various localizers to make sure that various content in their games are appropriate
    • Examples Used by Capcom: The use of "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas", numbers/expressions that could reference the Nazi party, content regarding pigs in relation to Arab localizations, etc.
In short, Capcom seems to be making a conscious effort to improve from a representation standpoint. To use an often-discussed game that's basically an open secret thanks to prior leaks, I wouldn't be surprised if Street Fighter VI dials back the sexualization significantly going forward. Likewise, I wouldn't be surprised if they start outright saying that Poison is trans (& hopefully get a trans woman to voice her, especially given that her current English VA turned out to be a shithead).

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Good stuff. MHW armor discrepancy was certainly a big issue, let's see what happens with Rise.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Really good sign that they're able to correctly identify specific problem areas in their own games and see better examples of representation elsewhere from other games. Good for them.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Good on Capcom, if they follow through with this then other Japanese publishers like Sega and Square Enix will end up implementing the same practices.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad that they had this presentation and hope that it actually results in a positive change to their games, especially regarding sexualising women in fighters as sfv was way too in the deep end regarding that

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Fantastic stuff. Japanese devs have been notoriously bad at representation, but it's great that they're listening and trying. Good on them

Edit: WAIT. THIS POTENTIALLY MEANS MORE JILL VALENTINE. YES PLEASE THANK YOU CAPCOM XOXOXOXOXO

Oct 27, 2017
That is really great. The proof will be in the pudding though, they need to ensure developers under their umbrella adhere to this. I also really hope this strategy makes them consider bringing a character like Sheva back or bringing in other new characters from under-represented groups in games. Cap com and their company culture do seem to have taken a shift, in many ways, for the better over this last 7 years of the previous console generation.

orzkare

Apr 9, 2020
Japan
Good examples
TLoU, Tomb raider

Bad examples
Zelda, Mario

CjXBhR7.png

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
That is really great. The proof will be in the pudding though, they need to ensure developers under their umbrella adhere to this. I also really hope this strategy makes them consider bringing a character like Sheva back or bringing in other new characters from under-represented groups in games. Cap com and their company culture do seem to have taken a shift, in many ways, for the better over this last 7 years of the previous console generation.
Resident Evil has already been moving in this direction since RE7. But as proven by Devil May Cry 5, it seems to have been just a RE-specific thing until now. Hopefully with this, we see the rest of Capcom follow the RE team's lead.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Good stuff on Capcom's part, absolutely. Great to see Japanese studios adopting positive policies on representation like this.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
It's really great to see how other games can also act as examples and even catalyst for more inclusivity. It's a knock on effect, and it's why representation matters.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If they're serious about their push for diversity, they also need to remove the problematic people whose beliefs go directly against what Capcom is working towards (Ex: Reuben Langdon, Karen Strassman, etc.). Dropping Karen should be simple enough. But until that in-house mo-cap studio is finished, getting rid of Reuben won't be easy given that Just Cause Productions is still a factor.

Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil has already been moving in this direction since RE7. But as proven by Devil May Cry 5, it seems to have been just a RE-specific thing until now. Hopefully with this, we see the rest of Capcom follow the RE team's lead.
Certainly, they have made positive strides and have a nice mix from a diversity perspective on the mix of women and man lead roles at least, in RE. It is more surprising in other games how little there has been. Street Fighter should be a good example (there's a bunch of diversity there) but as shown by examples even in the OP they've fumbled a few too many times on how groups are represented in that, so a declaration of doing better for that game as well is great.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
I really hope they bring Sheva back now. Not just in a potential RE5 Remake but also in another mainline Game.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
BotW Zelda is a respectably multidimensional character. I'm glad they acknowledge how it was an improvement from some of her past depictions.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does Shadow of the Tomb Raider even have a LGBTQ+ character?

FulcrumTK

Oct 6, 2020
Good stuff. MHW armor discrepancy was certainly a big issue, let's see what happens with Rise.
Every female armor we've seen so far on the MH Official Twitter has had exposed thighs for no reason, as usual.

And the difference in the framing between the male and female basic armor concept arts doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the Rise team's intentions:
EjLcQ-IXkAIWxNY
EjSE1liXkAIKcK7

That being said, the Capcom's drive for better inclusions and representation is great to hear. Hopefully it'll spread to the MH devs by the time World 2 releases.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Based Capcom.

I think we can already see this new approach in action. This is one their Monster Hunter Rise designs. Though maybe we'll have to see more sets before coming to a conclusion.

product_img02_esrb.png

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, please. They have A LOT of work to do to improve from their portrayal of women in SFV, DMCV and Monster Hunter. All of these are great guidelines, but I'll believe it when I see it.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Every female armor we've seen so far on the MH Official Twitter has had exposed thighs for no reason, as usual.

And the difference in the framing between the male and female basic armor concept arts doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the Rise team's intentions:
EjLcQ-IXkAIWxNY
EjSE1liXkAIKcK7

That being said, the Capcom's drive for better inclusions and representation is great to hear. Hopefully it'll spread to the MH dev's by the time World 2 releases.
To be fair, they've been working on MH Rise since 2017. But yeah, hopefully the MH team begins to follow this new mindset for MH6/W2.

Oh, please. They have A LOT of work to do to improve from their portrayal of women in SFV, DMCV and Monster Hunter. All of these are great guidelines, but I'll believe it when I see it.
True, actions speak louder than words. But the fact that they've called themselves out on a number of instances as well as taking a deep look at what they need to do is a solid first step. Plus we're already seeing the RE team follow this mindset.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

EjLcQ-IXkAIWxNY
EjSE1liXkAIKcK7

That being said, the Capcom's drive for better inclusions and representation is great to hear. Hopefully it'll spread to the MH devs by the time World 2 releases.

offf at that key art smh.

Well, hoping for MHW 2 atleast...

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
I googled after reading about Tomb Raider. I can't find anything and I played it recently...

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This sounds great on paper but when trash like Reuben Langdon, someone who actively opposed the ideologies being proposed here, are still on the payroll, it's hard to see this as anything more than lip service.

I'll wait to see the results before busting out the confetti and streamers.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Another good thing imho is that this is an internal document, so you know it's not something they're just throwing around as a PR stunt. It will take time for sue, but I believe that with SFVI and MHW2 we might start seeing some real improvements.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Based Capcom.

I think we can already see this new approach in action. This is one their Monster Hunter Rise designs. Though maybe we'll have to see more sets before coming to a conclusion.

product_img02_esrb.png

Ehh... While I'm not saying getting of them completely, the armor still does the whole "Zettai ryouiki" which likely end up appearing in 90% of female armors.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This sounds great on paper but when trash like Reuben Langdon, someone who actively opposed the ideologies being proposed here, are still on the payroll, it's hard to see this as anything more than lip service.

I'll wait to see the results before busting out the confetti and streamers.
As mentioned earlier, the situation regarding Reuben is more complex given that it's not just him as an actor, but him as the co-owner of a major mo-cap studio. Once Capcom actually builds their new mo-cap studio, then there's a better chance of them getting rid of Reuben.

Still, like I said, actions speak louder than words. But this is a solid first step all the same.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Better LGBT+ and PoC representation 👍
Equal sexualization between genders 👍
More proactive roles for female characters 👍

All good things.